[Clc-contrib] New contributor

Mark Rosenstand mark at borkware.net
Thu Apr 6 11:29:42 UTC 2006

On Thursday 06 April 2006 09:08, Johannes Winkelmann wrote:
> Hey Mark,
>
> On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 18:12:12 +0200, Mark Rosenstand wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been bugging CRUX maintainers with suggestions and patches for
> > a while now, so I figured it's time to start letting them get on my
> > nerves, too :-)
>
> I support your application to become a maintainer for contrib. I got
> the impression that you're skilled and committed to work for the CRUX
> community, even though you're rather "new" by our standards.
>

> Here are a couple of notes:
>
> Missing dep for /tmp/mark/shmux: pcre
> Missing dep for /tmp/mark/zsh: pcre
>
> ^ it's called libpcre

Whoops...

> /tmp/mark/rpm: -rw-r--r--      root/root
>     usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/linux/perllocal.pod
>
> ^ perllocal.pod should be removed

Damn, can't believe I missed that one. Thanks for notifying :-)

> /tmp/mark/tsh: Pkgfile contains no url field
>
> ^ minor

It doesn't have a home page AFAIK.

> Also, you might have read in the handbook that the kernel is not
> installed from ports, so I'd suggest to remove the 'linux' kernel
> port from the repository, considering that contrib maintainers act as
> a role model for other packagers and users.
> It's not a requirement for contrib, however diverging from common
> concepts of CRUX just costs you some credit amongst the developers
> (at least me). :-)

It's just that I always end up with a gigabyte of kernel source (that's
only 5 releases these days) in /usr/src and ten different kernels and
old configs in /boot when I maintain them manually :-(

That said, there are some drawbacks with the package as external modules
won't find the headers (but rather that than this mess:
http://cvs.archlinux.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/kernels/kernel26/PKGBUILD)
so it's definately not a good example.

Jukka's package_kernel script looks pretty spiffy, though, so I'll give
it a shot and throw away my Pkgfile if we get along :-)

> > I only plan to add a couple of ports to start with, but don't
> > expect the number to increase dramatically:
>
> [...]
>
> > - hotplug-ng
>
> Not relevant to all this, but since you're maintaining a non-standard
> hotplug, have you looked at http://www.t2-project.org/hotplug++/
> before?

Not yet ;-) my hotplugging needs are pretty much limited to some USB
devices, but I'll check it out just for the fun of it (although I fail
to see their argument for using it over hotplug-ng)

> Either way, if there are no objections during the next few days, I'll
> add your repository.
>
> Welcome :-)

Thanks :-)