[Clc-contrib] Re: Sync failed for prologic:

Johannes Winkelmann jw at tks6.net
Sun Jan 8 11:22:25 UTC 2006

Hi James,
On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 19:30:23 +1000, James Mills wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 11:15:46AM +0100, clc-contrib at lists.berlios.de wrote:
> > Connecting to http://crux.shortcircuit.net.au/ports/
> >   Failed to download REPO: couldn't connect to host
> > Failed to get remote repo file
> >
> > Please rectify the problem.
>
> The clc box have some routing issues ? Every now and again I get this
> message, yet my servers have been going solid and online for weeks.
> Strange. THere is nothing I can do, it's online!
Just logged in and got:
  $ host crux.shortcircuit.net.au
  crux.shortcircuit.net.au has address 202.63.43.238
  $
pinging 202.63.43.238 works.

pinging any of ns{1,2,3}.shortcircuit.net.au fails;
host on ns1 gives:
  $ host ns1.shortcircuit.net.au
  ns1.shortcircuit.net.au is an alias for virgo.shortcircuit.net.au.
  virgo.shortcircuit.net.au has address 202.125.46.71
  $
pinging 202.125.46.71 works.

Of the three nameservers we got from the hoster, two don't resolve it at
all, and one gives the above error.
Two of the three resolve google.ch just fine; the third fails.

Finally, at home I get:
  $ host ns1.shortcircuit.net.au
  ns1.shortcircuit.net.au is an alias for virgo.shortcircuit.net.au.
  virgo.shortcircuit.net.au has address 202.125.46.71
  ns1.shortcircuit.net.au is an alias for virgo.shortcircuit.net.au.
  ns1.shortcircuit.net.au is an alias for virgo.shortcircuit.net.au.

which seems to have a bit much redundancy, and the later two seem to be
the ones which host can't resolve.

Now, I have to admit that I don't have enough experience with DNS to
diagnose where the problem lies. I hope someone on this list has an
idea.

I'll try to find an e-mail for the hoster; so far Per was our contact
person, but since I haven't heard from him since mid november, I fear we
have to find another way.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Johannes
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw at tks6.net