[clc-devel] Meta ports

Simone Rota simonerota at operamail.com
Sat Aug 30 17:26:28 UTC 2003

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 17:26:13 +0200
Johannes Winkelmann <jw at tks6.net> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Jürgen pointed out possible problems due to the fact that gtk2 is now in
> opt: Dependencies are not listed anymore. There are basically two ways
> out of this:
> - every ports mentions all dependencies of gtk2 itself
> - creating a meta port which lists the dependencies of gtk2; this port
>   can be listed as dependency then, avoiding the above.

> It's pretty obvious that the second one is less error-prone and
> therefore our choice :-) Are there any comments or objections?

I support the second option too, with a couple of considerations:

1. The ideal solution would be to have dependencies listed also
   in /base and /opt. I know we discussed the thing a hundred times
   or so, but I'm still think that:
   - This wouldn't undermine the "keep it simple" idea: standard      pkgtools will simply ignore deps.
   - It would be nice to have the same Pkgfile format for all ports.

   Of course we can't force Per to change his mind about dependencies
   in Pkgfile, anyway we (I?) could offer Per's an hand sending him
   the opt and/or base ports with dependencies line included.
   (just in case he's interested)
   That could be a lot of work, but I think that it would be quite
   a one-time effort, since /base and /opt collections are subjected
   to less changes than ports in CLC.

2. If we go with metaports, I think we should define a standard
   to handle such a thing. Ie: fake files to install, location
   (as you pointed out in the PS). I suggest /usr/share/metaports
   or something similar (just in case one would create a metaport
   not strictly clc-related). Another think to consider is uninstall
   behaviour: pkgrm gtk2-meta would not remove gtk2 itself?
   If we have a good specification of metaports, these could
   be very useful for installing certain group of packages,
   let's say again kde or gnome. I've put up a page regarding metaports
   some time ago at http://www.varlock.com. Unfortunately I've been
   quite busy this summer, and I got some exam on September, so I
   couldn't and can't play too much(at least for the moment)
   with metaports and other projects.

I realize that I spent a lot of words for a small problem,
these are only suggestions in case other people too would
prefer to implement a complete metaport solution instead of
using metaports only as a quick-hack.

> Regards, Johannes

Bye,
Simone