[clc-devel] Update scenario

Victor victord at jafa.homeip.net
Tue Dec 2 19:05:16 UTC 2003

Simone Rota wrote:

> As I wrote some time ago I'm dedicating a machine
> to the automatic clc port building process. I'm currently
> tuning up the build and report script(s). My intention was to
> begin with the project from CRUX 1.3 onwards-
>
> Since the machine in question is available at the moment, I volunteer
> for the test builds (with a pre-release or as soon as 1.3 goes gold).

Will this be a public machine for CLC people where we might be able to
test our ports? Or is public access unavailable? One problem I always
had was that I don't update right away since my boxes are usually in use
and it takes a while for me to take them down. A publicly available box
would be good to test things.

I know due to security risks and people being bad, such things are
rarely available, so if you can allow access, cool, if not, no biggie..

This might be a good reason to research more ideas for allowing building
of ports without being root. Would allow a central box for people to
test ports and not require sudo or root to do so. Unfortunately, as Per
said, it's difficult to find a generic solution.

Personally, I think our ports are the best thing we have and also
somewhat bad... We're missing features, such as post/pre scripts and
built-in dependencies. I know that prt-get now does most of these things
and if so, why not just integrate the tools? Make prt-get be the default
build tool instead of having all these different tools? Wouldn't it be
easier? Just a thought.

Victor