[clc-devel] External Packagers, take two

Johannes Winkelmann jw at tks6.net
Tue Apr 6 22:10:38 UTC 2004

Hey,

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 13:54:55 +0200, Johannes Winkelmann wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been implementing changes in httpup to allow syncronisation of
> subtrees of a repository and found out that it might be an option for
> us to get packages from external packagers into the CLC CVS tree. I've
> written a short explanation in the Wiki, find it at
>   http://crux.fh-regensburg.de/cgi-bin/cvstrac/wiki?p=HttpupNg
CLC maintainers, could you write a short comment whether you would be in
favour of a solution where external packagers are invited to provide
updated versions of unmaintained ports in their private httpup
repositories? They could then file a bug report with the URL and any CLC
maintainer could sync it to CLC CVS.

I'm planning to announce the next version of httpup (or at least the
test version) this week, and I'd like to include this concept in the
announcement if we're going to go for it.

The work required for a CLC maintainer is:

a) for a new port:

httpup sync http://www.maol.ch/crux/ports#graphviz \
    ~/crux/clc/graphviz

cd ~/crux/clc
cvs add graphviz
cd graphviz
httpup list (to get a list of files which were synced)
cvs add (the files you obtained from httpup list)
cvs ci -m "initial version of graphviz"
cvs tag $TAG

b) for an existing port

httpup sync http://www.maol.ch/crux/ports#graphviz \
    ~/crux/clc/graphviz

cd ~/crux/clc/graphviz
httpup list (see which files most be added, removed)
cvs diff (optional: see what the packager did)
cvs add/delete (if needed)
cvs ci -m "fetch updated version for graphviz from maol"
cvs tag -F $TAG

I personally would like such an system, maybe even if I'm working
just as maintainer for a package which is maintained by a non-CLC
person. It would improve the value of the unmaintained collection and
would allow us to remove ports which haven't been changed in $TIME from
the repository since we're sure no one cared to update this one. And
finally, people could actually contribute changes back.

Comments appreciated.
Regards, Johannes
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw at tks6.net