[clc-devel] Crux on AMD64

Tilo Riemer riemer at ppprs1.phy.tu-dresden.de
Fri Apr 9 12:57:50 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 11:08:09PM +0200, Johannes Winkelmann wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:38:54 +0200, Tilo Riemer wrote:
> > 1.) Does someone know/have a good idea how you can organize
> > compatibility libs for 32 bit applications like acroread?
> Do you have an idea about the port compatibility between 32 bit and 64
> bit x86 architectures?

as far as I understand the documentation from Gentoo about AMD64 the ports
should almost work for both 32 and 64 bit. On Gentoo the name of libs
for 64 bit contains something like x86-64. the gcc should link against the
right libs.
ports which install only a binary like acroread should work without
modification. only ports which must compile a 32 bit version should be
modified for setting the emulation environment.

Unfortunately I won't have time next 4-6 weeks so tests must wait until
middle of May.

> Would it make sense to consider a multibranch
> repository to coordinate the efforts (and detach the changes from the 32
> bit version)?

I think this is possible but more the last way.
It should be possible to add a system check in the few ports which are
affected. Something like (no correct shell syntax ;-)):

if amd64 then set amd64-env

Should be all.

Best regards, Tilo

Tilo Riemer             mailto:riemer at lincvs.org