[clc-devel] Rsync for Maintainers

Johannes Winkelmann jw at tks6.net
Mon Aug 30 07:29:13 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 01:23:50 -0400, Victor wrote:
> I am just curious, what was the reason again for not using rsync for
> port distribution?
>
> Just an idea, why can't we make people who submit ports have an rsync
> account:
[...]
> Then people who want their repos to be public, can ask for the account,
> and a simple script where user:pass is specified can generate these
> config files. Then it's up to them to update their trees. A gui (I have
> a php one that can handle this) can then list/search/etc the ports.
>
> Wouldn't this be an easy solutoion? It centralizes all the HTTPUP repos
> with minimal work.
I don't really see any big advantage over the other proposals (httpup
mirror collection, people collection). I'm somewhat missing a
comparison, so I'll run my own:

Advantages:
- Changes are transmitted using diffs (httpup: whole files)

Disadvantages:
- Requires running a service (rsyncd)
- Configurations looks rather complicated
- If a repo maintainer decides to just not update his repo anymore, we
  have to detect that he's not accessing our repo anymore; this is a bit
  harder in a "push" model than it is in a "pull" model (as the httpup
  ideas implement).
- To merge those ports into one collection, you'll need another script
  (I don't think rsync does this); therefore, you'll end up with more
  components to maintain (rsync, script), which run independently, which
  means that you have to manually ensure that there are no "commits" to
  the collection while merging it (I know this is simple to do, but it
  will cause some disk load).

Furthermore, one obvious difference is the distributed vs. centralized
approach, which has the following properties:
- Dist: people who want to keep their repository have to sync to two places
        (their webspace and our rsync space);
  Central: those that don't want a repository don't have to create one.
- Dist: People interested in maintaining ports can start at once and
        will have their repo synced eventually.
  Central: People are dependent to get an account to get started

I know I'm biased so I'm probably missing something, but I know I'd be
willing to maintain the system pointed out in the 'people' collection on
a private server without concerns regarding security and effort
required; in my case, this doesn't hold true for the rsync idea.

Whether distributed or centralized development is better is really a
matter of taste. I think that contrib should be central, and 'people'
distributed; and we should try to get more talented packagers to join
CLC.

Kind regards, Johannes
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw at tks6.net