[clc-devel] Applying to be a package maintainer

Johannes Winkelmann jw at tks6.net
Mon Aug 30 10:05:56 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 15:51:16 -0700, Anthony de Almeida Lopes wrote:
> I'd like to know how to apply to be a package maintainer. The
> MaintainerGuidlines document on the wiki is pretty vague on that.
Please let us know what parts are vague; we've tried to make it clear,
but we tend to forget things we think are obvious, so we're happy to fix
those things.

The process to apply is about the following:

1. package software, create ports, publish them, maintain them
2. Read http://clc.morpheus.net:6999/clc/wiki?p=MaintainerGuidelines and
   see whether you agree to the rules and requirements metioned there;
   also read the CLC package guidelines, available through the
   "Documents" section of the CLC webpage, and validate your ports
   against them.
3. Send an application to clc-devel at lists.berlios.de, containing "links
   to packages the applicant did, and a list of packages she/he'd like to
   maintain. It's best to send an URL to some ports the applicant made".

We also like to know who we're dealing with, so some notes about you are
definitely appreciated. There are some examples in the mailing list
archive at
  https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/clc-devel/

After that, some maintainers will look into the ports and advocate for
the applicant if they think he/she is a good match, or give some tips
how to improve them to fit

> I'd also like to know how I register an account for the bug reporting
> system, or whether all bugs are supposed to be anonymous.
For now, we've never had someone asking for an account, but if you plan
to do a lot of bug reporting, this could be arranged. Anonymous
reporting is fine though.

Hope this helps,
Regards, Johannes
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw at tks6.net