[clc-devel] Python 2.4

Nick Steeves Nick.Steeves at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 5 16:44:01 UTC 2004

On December 5, 2004 6:10, Juergen Daubert wrote:
> ok, what can we do ?
>
> 1. commit python 2.4 now, fixing all dependent ports
> 2. wait for CRUX 2.1
> 3. ...

How about committing now, and tagging/branching python 2.4 and related ports
as CONTRIB-2_1, rather then 2_0?  Shouldn't a non-trivial update like python
wait for at least a point release of CRUX?  I'm publishing a bunch of
python-dependent ports in my httpup repo, and am hoping to bring kdebindings
back from the attic when KDE-3.3.2 is released--and am reasonably certain
that pyqt (the basis for kdebinding's python support) does not support
python-2.4.  Koffice also has a tendency to exibit crash-happiness, when
dependant packages are newer then its release.

I'm not sure exactly how to do it, but I'm pretty sure that with a command
like "cvs branch CONTRIB-2_0" one can switch back to CONTRIB-2_0 as the
current working tree.  Updates to python-related packages will probably be
python 2.4 fixes from here on out, yes?  This means that switching back to
the CONTRIB-2_0 branch in order to update python-related packages should be
rare.  Why not keep our solid python 2.3 implementation for now--and limit
the bugs to a CONTRIB-2_1 branch?

Shipping bleeding-edge is for ricers.  (http://funroll-loops.org)
I have nothing against imports, btw.

Nick