[clc-devel] Python 2.4 / Commit messages

Simone Rota sip at varlock.com
Sun Dec 5 17:11:35 UTC 2004

On 05/12/2004 18:06 Johannes Winkelmann wrote:
> This leads me to another consideration: we could extend the commit
> guideline proposal to denote binary incompatible changes as well, to
> enable tracking of those. And - as discussed on IRC - we could trigger
> e-mails with a CVS post commit hook, checking for the few keywords
> (security, binary incompatible) and sending out a warning to a dedicated
> CLC commit-info list. Any opinions on this? At least for me, it would be
> helpful to have such additinal information available easily.

I'm afraid some binary-incompatible changes would be a bit tricky
to detect: there could be cases in which having a port introducing
_some_ incompatibility could not necessarily imply that all
depending ports are affected.

Apart from this, I think we have a couple of options to notify
binary incompatibiities:
- put the info in cvs as suggested and let the user do
   the upgrade
- updating the affected dependent ports (bumping the release number)

If we're going to support / facilitate the use of binaries
I think the 2nd solution is preferrable (even if it brings
up coordination issues between maintainers).

Regards,
Simone

--
Simone Rota           WEB : http://www.varlock.com