[clc-devel] Python 2.4 / Commit messages

Johannes Winkelmann jw at tks6.net
Mon Dec 6 17:44:50 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 18:11:35 +0100, Simone Rota wrote:
> On 05/12/2004 18:06 Johannes Winkelmann wrote:
> >This leads me to another consideration: we could extend the commit
> >guideline proposal to denote binary incompatible changes as well, to
> >enable tracking of those. And - as discussed on IRC - we could trigger
> >e-mails with a CVS post commit hook, checking for the few keywords
> >(security, binary incompatible) and sending out a warning to a dedicated
> >CLC commit-info list. Any opinions on this? At least for me, it would be
> >helpful to have such additinal information available easily.
>
> I'm afraid some binary-incompatible changes would be a bit tricky
> to detect: there could be cases in which having a port introducing
> _some_ incompatibility could not necessarily imply that all
> depending ports are affected.
>
> Apart from this, I think we have a couple of options to notify
> binary incompatibiities:
> - put the info in cvs as suggested and let the user do
>   the upgrade
> - updating the affected dependent ports (bumping the release number)
Sure, but in order to detect possible (forseeable) problems, an
automatic notification would be nice; this way, Jürgen could commit his
port with a message, and wait until maintainers of dependent ports catch
up, and finally tag it. I think it should be a combination of both
options you suggest.

Kind regards, Johannes
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw at tks6.net