[clc-devel] Ports reorganisation?

Simone Rota sip at varlock.com
Mon Jan 5 00:11:37 UTC 2004

Hi everybody,
since it's been quiet for a while, I'll do my best to annoy
you all as usual.

Some consideration about the current CLC port tree and related
topics:

[*** unmaintained ***]
Some time ago we discussed about a possible removal of the
/unmaintained collection; I suggest to open up the previous
to casual contributors and not-so-tested ports, in an effort
to unify the many spotted httpup collections.
The 'new' unmaintained collection would of course be totally
unsupported, and be separate from /contrib.
This could be done in other ways than cvs, if needed.(httpup hack?)

[*** mea culpa ***]
I'm ditching my httpup repository. I'll try to:
- transfer the useful ports into /contrib
- remove duplicate ports
- trash the one I rarely use

(Who cares, you'll say)
As a CLC maintainer I found that having a separate repository
often ends up with duplicated ports, de-centralization, etc.

Additionally It's quite common for me (as for many others I suppose)
to create custom ports from scratch or with slight modifications
or updates of existing ports, thus adding other mess to the ports
available on my system. I'm going to stop this trend, removing
the unneeded ports and try to collaborate a little more with other
maintainers, eventually explaining why I feel my port is
an improvement. Btw, this could be easier with a more open /unmaintained
collection.

[*** opinions? ***]
I think a global step towards stricter collaboration and centralization
of ports* could improve the CRUX user experience and save precious
manpower (packagerpower?). In my opinion this point is particularly
important, since the CRUX community cannot count on thoushands
of contributors. What do you think?

Best regards,
Simone

--
Simone Rota           WEB : http://www.varlock.com
Bergamo, Italy        MAIL: sip at varlock.com

* Of course private httpup repos of most exotic / highly customized
stuff will continue to exist.