[clc-devel] crux-ports-database

Till Biedermann tillbiedermann at yahoo.de
Sat Jan 10 14:06:14 UTC 2004

hi johannes

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 13:49, Johannes Winkelmann wrote:
> Mmmh, I think there should be only one search page for everything,
> including CVSup ports..............Especially for new users it's very
> confusing to have many search databases...

i agree. it should be no problem to integrate cvs ports in the database.

> I'd rather go for a database which is generated from the ports, not
> updated by users. If you look at it from a packagers view, it's
> duplicate work if you have to update the web entry for every change you
> do in a Pkgfile.

i also totally agree. but this is only an implematation of my first
ideas.

it should be also no problem to syncronice the database with cvs and
httup repositorys.

but this will require some rules. for example who updates the database
and how is the database updated: with a php-frontend, with
sql-dump-files, automatic,...

also there should be a clear concept of the database structure. i dont
know much about database-theory, so my draft is surely far away from
being perfect.

> There seems to be such an index of httpup repos
> already:
>   http://www.mikropiiri.org/crux/httpup_index.html

nice. i did not know that page. but this one seems to be generated from
installed httpup-port-directories. so the completeness is not
guaranteed. also this page it is well hidden. so this is no help for new
crux-users.

regards till