[clc-devel] contrib<-alternative_repos

Johannes Winkelmann jw at tks6.net
Sat Jul 10 09:14:54 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 15:59:15 -0400, Robert McMeekin wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Some of you may have seen the alternative_repos port by Han Boetes in
> his httpup repository [1].  So, I'd like to add this to contrib so that
> the next time I change my repo (or even if someone else changes their
> repo), the changes can get properly propagated.  Also, if more people
> tracked the port their might be a little less duplication and maybe even
> some consolidation of ports, which would be a good benefit.
I was wondering about a different solution I'd like to propose: it's
called "httpup mirror service" and would be a central host getting all
remote repositories and hosting them there; developers could send in
changes to REPO url etc (maybe via web front end), but the final url
would always stay the same, e.g.
http://httpup-mirror.mydomain.com/<name> where <name> is e.g. 'rrm3' or
'jw' or 'clc-contrib'.

The main advantage I see is that we (or I actually) could write a
service which has a configuration file where you just subscribe to a
collection name, not an URL. Packagers could send an e-mail to the crux
mailing list saying that "my new cool game ports are available in the
collection 'jw-games'", and users could just add

  subscribe jw-games

to /etc/httpup-mirror.conf or maybe even issue

  $ httpup-mirror-subscribe jw-games

ports -u and be done. It's a centralized
port access for decentralized development.

Of course, we need a machine to host this kind of service, but hosting
this shouldn't be a big thing IMHO.

And I really think we could get rid of unmaintained once if we had a
system like this ;-).

Thoughs, ideas?
Kind regards, Johannes (back from holidays)
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw at tks6.net