[clc-devel] cvs anonymous access

Johannes Winkelmann jw at tks6.net
Wed Jun 16 19:57:35 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 21:17:56 +0200, Giulivo Navigante wrote:
> hi all,
> here at CRUX PPC we have troubles with cvsup/cm3 (the only modula3 compiler
> that works on PPC_LINUX) on systems with newer glibc (nptl).
>
> i'm writing a "driver" for "ports" that uses the normal cvs client to sync
> the local repository with the remote files instead of cvsup... seems it
> works well. it require an anonymous access to the cvs server, we're testing
> it for PPC base and opt ports collection from the sunsite's cvs server.
>
> we have in mind to include it in the upcoming CRUX PPC 2.0 release instead
> of cvsup, so can we have an anonymous access to the CLC ports repository?
Sorry I didn't bring that up in IRC, but why do you switch away from
httpup? I mean 'cvs update' transmits complete files as well (of course
clients can request compression, but still), so it's similar in terms of
netwerk load.
I don't mean to advertise httpup, just interested in the reason your
switching.

Another thing I was wondering about is whether it makes sense to make
PPC users use the tree from CLC which is only tested on x86. Wouldn't it
be better to have your own repository, and sync it with the CLC tree if
this is wanted, including PPC specific changes and fixes?

> cptn on freenode has told to me that you're using cvs on ssh, it's not a
> problem, we can work on the "driver" to works throught ssh.
AFAICS if Martin allows anonymous access to the CVS, it won't be through
ssh (since the anonymous user would require a user account on this
machine then).

Best regards, Johannes
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw at tks6.net