[clc-devel] cvs anonymous access

Giulivo Navigante giulivonavigante at tiscali.it
Wed Jun 16 22:38:12 UTC 2004

On 06/16/04 21:57:35, Johannes Winkelmann wrote:
> Sorry I didn't bring that up in IRC, but why do you switch away from
> httpup? I mean 'cvs update' transmits complete files as well (of course
> clients can request compression, but still), so it's similar in terms of
> netwerk load.
> I don't mean to advertise httpup, just interested in the reason your
> switching.

for base/opt collections we have to maintain the httpup REPO... the cvs
wrapper does not require ftp/http space and overload to syncs is with the
cvs tree.

> Another thing I was wondering about is whether it makes sense to make
> PPC users use the tree from CLC which is only tested on x86.

most of the clc's ports works well on ppc too and they are a foundamentally
resource for CRUX distro

> Wouldn't it
> be better to have your own repository, and sync it with the CLC tree if
> this is wanted, including PPC specific changes and fixes?

sometime ago we have proposed a little hack to pkgutils to have only one
main cvs repository and a technique to pass only the differences to the PPC
clients... but no one has approved :(

> AFAICS if Martin allows anonymous access to the CVS, it won't be through
> ssh (since the anonymous user would require a user account on this
> machine then).

i hope he can do that :)
greetings
--