[clc-devel] clc ports and crux ppc

Daniel Mueller danm at gmx.li
Tue Jun 29 18:37:59 UTC 2004

Hi Giulivo,

> do you think is possible to work on this issue in the next months?
> what  kind of solution would you suggest? we are ready to contribute
> in anyway  could be useful.

Hmm, since we're using a CVS repository it shouldn't be a problem to mix
both architectures, x86 & ppc.

CVS offers so called 'branches' for such circumstances. A picture says
more than thousands of words:

------------snip--------------

Variant one:
============

CRUX PPC uses its own branch without taking care of CLC's main branch.
(cvs -b <TAGNAME>)

myport/Pkgfile: [CVS version tree]

                 +---------+    +---------+    +---------+
Branch 1.2.2 -> _! 1.2.2.1 !----! 1.2.2.2 !----! 1.2.2.3 !
(PPC-2_0 ppc)  / +---------+    +---------+    +---------+
              /
             /
+-----+    +-----+    +-----+    +-----+    +-----+
! 1.1 !----! 1.2 !----! 1.3 !----! 1.4 !----! 1.5 !  <- The main trunk
+-----+    +-----+    +-----+    +-----+    +-----+   (CONTRIB-2_0 x86)

Variant two:
============

CRUX PPC always gets the latest (main) version of a particular port and
modifies it for their ppc edition. The branch tag would be moved from
version to version (cvs -b -B -F <TAGNAME>).

myport/Pkgfile: [CVS version tree]

                 +---------+                     +---------+
Branch 1.2.2 -> _! 1.2.2.1 !-X  Branch 1.5.2 -> _! 1.5.2.1 !
(PPC-2_0 ppc)  / +---------+    (PPC-2_0 ppc)  / +---------+
              /                               /
             /                               /
+-----+    +-----+    +-----+    +-----+    +-----+
! 1.1 !----! 1.2 !----! 1.3 !----! 1.4 !----! 1.5 !  <- The main trunk
+-----+    +-----+    +-----+    +-----+    +-----+   (CONTRIB-2_0 x86)

------------snap--------------

Okay - it's not really the right way[1] to use branches, but it would
work for us - Are there any CVS cracks who can jostle me in the right
direction ?

[1] https://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs-1.11.16/cvs_5.html#SEC54

As long as the main branch remains untouched by PPC stuff, I'd be
happy to see some CRUX PPC guys at CLC.

bye, danm

--
Daniel Mueller
Berlin, Germany		(OpenPGP:  1024D/126EC290)