[clc-devel] Migration plan for CRUX 2.0

Per Liden per at fukt.bth.se
Mon May 3 13:55:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Simone Rota wrote:

> Hi everybody,

Hi,

> many of you will surely know that Per has released a test
> version for CRUX 2.0 available at:

For those who didn't know, I uploaded the ISO last evening. I'll make an
announcement about it on crux at fukt.bth.se when I get back home from work
later today.

> http://www.fukt.bth.se/~per/crux/files/test/
> ( for Per: works fine here with a fresh install,
> I was to scered by the release notes to try
> an upgrade ).

Good to hear!

> Given that there's been some important change
> ( http://crux.fh-regensburg.de/cgi-bin/cvstrac/wiki?p=TwoZeroChanges )
> and that many ports would need some adjustement,

I'm not as confident that this test-ISO is as complete/finished as other
test-ISOs have been in the past. I know for a fact that I will have to
make a few updates and possibly make a test2-ISO before the final release.

What I mostly feel unhappy about is the setup script/procedure, e.g.
making a working upgrade procedure is hard. There are simply too many
things that can go wrong or are tricky to fix. I've been thinking about
making a complete re-design of the whole setup script/procedure, but never
really got time for it. I would appreciate any ideas anyone might have
regarding this, not just about the upgrade part and how to make that
"safe", but also about the normal "install from scratch" procedure.

In any case, starting to update CLC for 2.0 (using 2.0-test1 as the
platform) should be fairly safe since I don't plan on making any major
incompatible changes before 2.0-final. At the moment it feels like
2.0-final is about two weeks away.

/Per