[clc-devel] CRUX mascot?

Nick Steeves Nick.Steeves at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 21 09:23:06 UTC 2004

On November 20, 2004 11:37, Victor wrote:
> http://www.nfl.com/ (scroll down) has very good logos (obviously). I
> think could be a cool idea starting point.
>
> Something cool, but mean looking (and would look good on a tshirt).
> Is there a mean moose around? Maybe a mean falcon. angry hedgehog?
> Hedgehog doesn't sound like a bad idea...

Why the negative emotion?  Should CRUX really be associated with meanness and
anger?  Doesn't using CRUX put you in a satisfied mood?  The floating GNU is
already taken, and we definitely shouldn't choose a mascot which represents
the bovine qualities of its users.  (*cough*Larry-the-Cow)

Google image search for "intelligent animal" turns up a few hundred, but it
was the raccoon which caught my eye.  Raccoons can be foaming-at-the-mouth
angry, given the right conditions--or can be peaceful scavengers with the
decency to wash their food.  They have teeth which grow for their entire
lives, which could symbolize "keeping their skills sharp".  Black "raccoon
eyes" from staying up too late trying to get broken software to compile. :-)
Scavenging nature, where they take things from their environment--downloading
our sources from other people's mirrors--they don't mind, and if they did
we'd go somewhere else.

The only serious problem with the raccoon, is that most people see him as a
pest.  Many Linux users see the plethora of minor distro's as pests, so
perhaps their is a parallel here too?  Is it a positive or a negative one?

Raccoons can be printed on a gray or black t-shirt with just two colours of
ink.  (if t-shirt is gray, use black & white ink.  If t-shirt is black, use
gray & white).  This makes it cheaper to make t-shirts, mugs, etc.

Lastly, the raccoon is similar in spirit to Puffy the Blowfish, because he can
look both cute, or angry/mean. (though mean is the exception for reasons that
should be biologically obvious...rabies.  We don't want to bankrupt CISCO,
replace windows, or take over the world, so probably shouldn't adopt a
predator as a mascot.  IMHO, intelligence and cuteness are essential for a
mascot.

On the other hand, the moose has the capability to look stoic.  I could live
with being identified with a stoic moose.  Caribou exist as for food for
others, so that's a definite no.  The beaver logo is already used by Roots,
and is liable to be interpreted as such within Canada.  The moose is used by
Moosehead, a good Lager from the maritime province of New Brunswick--though
if we used a comic moose, that wouldn't be an issue.  (and since it's a good
beer, the logo is bearable)

Canine domesticus was already claimed by YellowDog.  A flying fish, perhaps?
Maybe some kind of bird?  Are raccoons considered seriously offensive in
anyone's culture?  I'm drawing most of my "visible animals" with a, perhaps,
Canadian bias.  Raccoons exist all over most of North-of-the-Mediterranean
Europe though, right?  Oops, I just checked--they don't.  Introduced to
Germany in 1934, they are now an urban plague.  They're apparently going to
conquer continental Europe.  They're not a predator, but will conquer.  Is
this a desirable trait?  "Viral GPL spreads across the continent, infecting
European programmers everywhere.  Remember kids, don't touch raccoons, they
carry the Free Software virus".  Perhaps this would make the raccoon a great
conversation starter in continental Europe?  Is that the purpose of a t-shirt
logo?

Here are some links to decent raccoon photos/caricatures:

A skinny one:
http://www.ozyandmillie.org/2002/om20020205.gif

Angry:
http://www.inwap.com/mf/reboot/episodes/games/raccoon.jpg

Intelligent, alert, and standing on two legs! (photo):
http://home.san.rr.com/wrichar3/images/Raccoon.jpg

Other:
http://www.northern.edu/natsource/MAMMALS/rac1.jpg
http://www.wildlifecenter.net/images/Raccoon-Dsc01791.jpg
http://thejunglestore.com/media/Raccoon-decal-pganimal-flod.jpg
http://raynox.com/actualimage/digital/e5400/e5400-dcr1850-raccoon.jpg
http://www.exzooberance.com/virtual zoo/they walk/raccoon/Raccoon 42009.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/brainxxdamage/charactersbandit.jpg
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.angelfire.com/weird/curseofdagrak/Tobiasspell.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.angelfire.com/weird/curseofdagrak/commain.html&h=266&w=443&sz=15&tbnid=nWkbhyuLICYJ:&tbnh=74&tbnw=123&start=11&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dracoon%2Bcomic%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DG
http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/images/raccoondk.jpg
http://pathea.com/media/wallpapers/ghibli/pompoko/index.shtml

Honestly, I could probably live with the moose, so long has he has intelligent
eyes, rather then deer or cow eyes.  Biologically, humans are WAY closer to
the raccoon.  Actually, IIRC, outside of humans and orangutans, raccoons are
the only living creature with an opposable thumb.  Nope, I just checked
wikipedia:

Available are:
Panda
Koala
Oppossum
Cebids
(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1d/200px-White-throated_Capuchin.jpg)

Moose is quite tasty, in case you haven't had the opportunity to try it.
Definitely the tastiest game, imho.  (better then deer, any fowl, elk...maybe
not caribou.  Haven't had the chance to try boar.)  There's not a chance in
the world that I'd touch anything with a hyper-combative mascot on it.

Cheers,
Nick