[clc-devel] A few thoughts on Java and Games

Jay Dolan jasonthomasdolan at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 8 00:14:18 UTC 2004

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone is objected to removing the
(outdated) quakeforge port from unmaintained.  It's
sortof an oddball, anyway.  But the main reason I ask
is because I maintain a full set of Quake related
ports in my httpup repository.  They're all current
and adhere to a uniform structure.  Quakers could get
most of what they need from there, leaving clc's
collections for more ..serious things ;)

Regarding Java.. listing Java as a dependency is a
pain in the butt, as I'm sure we can all agree.
Currently two redundant ports, j2re and j2sdk, live in
contrib.  J2re is most often used as the core
dependency for Java applications, and rightly so.  But
this solution nudges people who already have j2sdk
installed towards downloading a big tarball to build
an almost identical pacakge for j2re.

Can the two be merged to create a "java" metaport that
installs the j2sdk and some symlinks in /usr/bin?  Off
the top of my head, I don't see why this would fail -
and it would clean things up a bit for Java
developers.

Thanks,

=====
Jay Dolan