[clc-devel] ports in contrib depending on ports in unmaintained

Johannes Winkelmann jw at tks6.net
Fri Oct 8 08:12:52 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 10:05:23 +0300, Jukka Heino wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When building every single port in contrib I noticed that some of them
> depend on packages that either don't exist or are unmaintained. >
[list]

> So in my opinion maintained ports shouldn't depend on unmaintained or
> non-existant ports. The current situation is of course understandable,
> since most of the GNOME stuff isn't maintained anymore. But in general I
> propose we move towards a uniformly maintained contrib with no
> dependencies on other collections than base, opt and contrib itself.
There used to be a unwritten rule that packages should not have
"downward dependencies", where the order top to bottom is base, opt,
contrib and unmaintained. Now that unmaintained has been suffering a
lot in recent times, I guess this got lost a bit. So I perfectly agree
with you that we should define clear rules about dependencies (also for
httpup ports).

Furthermore, we should drop unmaintained :-)
  https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/clc-devel/2004-September/000610.html

Kind regards, Johannes
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw at tks6.net