[clc-devel] unmaintained; next try

Johannes Winkelmann jw at tks6.net
Fri Sep 10 11:04:37 UTC 2004

Hi there,

As you might know many packages in unmaintained are outdated or even
non-functional. Some of them have never versions in httpup repositories.
We keep getting bug reports against those unmaintained ports, which
means that some of us have to look after those ports (or defer the bug
reports).

I've been discussing with Juergen what the goal of CLC is; the choices
were:
1. Have ports which we actively maintain
2. Have ports which seem important for a linux distribution

The initial goal of CLC was to do the first of the two; as a consequence
of this, we should not serve ports we don't maintain actively. Some time
ago, having a collection like clc/unstable or unmaintained made sense
since there was no alternative way to share ports. This is not the case
anymore, and we could go back to follow goal #1 again.
There is a certain need for ports which are "not quite ready" for
contrib but are maintained by us. I'd therefore propose to drop
unmaintained and start a new collection called 'testing'; ports which
require further testing (both when the port or the ported software isn't
stable) go there, but it should be our goal to move it to contrib or
remove it altogether. 'testing' shouldn't be consider a permanent place
for ports. Either they're fine for CLC, or they're not.

Note that this would mean that we wouldn't have GNOME in our tree
anymore, since rrm3 isn't around. IMO this would be the right
consequence when a maintainer leaves, and we shouldn't try to keep the
ports around but to find a new maintainer for them.

Riders of Rohan, eerm, maintainers from CLC, Please discuss, comment or
at least state whether you are in favor or against this step.

Best regards, Johannes
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw at tks6.net