[clc-devel] Software licenses

ncrfgs ncrfgs at tin.it
Tue Sep 21 12:53:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 02:49:57PM +0300, Jukka Heino wrote:
> Now that Simone Rota has committed his datastudio port into contrib, I
> began to wonder if CLC has some sort of policy on what software licenses
> should be allowed in contrib. At least one user was concerned that he
> might accidentally install software which would require a commercial
> license for the purpose he's using it for. I, for one, would find
> something like a "License" field in Pkgfiles useful so that with a quick
> glance one could see under which terms the software is released (GPL,
> BSD...). What do others think?

I agree. It would be nice (at least for me) to know what kind of licence the
software I'm going to install is released under in a fast way.

But I'm not sure a tag is the best way to accomplish this task. Maybe a note
in a README file or a LICENSE file on its own, just when the License isn't
OSI approved, would suit best this need.

I think the Pkgfile should try to contain only informations related to the
package building, that's why I don't believe in a tag bases solution to this
problem.

This is just the opinion of a user, though, because unfortunately I'm not a
CLC developer... -_-

Best regards.
--
Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
``Don't bother us with politics,'' respond those who don't

 -- Richard M. Stallman
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/linux-gnu-freedom.html