[clc-devel] Software licenses

Simone Rota sip at varlock.com
Tue Sep 21 13:41:23 UTC 2004

On 09/21/04 13:49 Jukka Heino wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now that Simone Rota has committed his datastudio port into contrib, I
> began to wonder if CLC has some sort of policy on what software licenses
> should be allowed in contrib. At least one user was concerned that he
> might accidentally install software which would require a commercial
> license for the purpose he's using it for. I, for one, would find
> something like a "License" field in Pkgfiles useful so that with a quick
> glance one could see under which terms the software is released (GPL,
> BSD...). What do others think?

Hi,

in the case of datastudio, license information and selection is
displayed at first run, so a misunderstanding is not possible.
(just saw Johannes pointed out this as well)

Assuming the problem is not limited to that port,
I'm more in favour of a specific solution (as suggested by
ncrfgs); the README file seems an appropriate place for me.
This way we won't have to add overhead to other ports.

Regards,
Simone

--
Simone Rota           WEB : http://www.varlock.com