[clc-devel] installing into /home (or not)

Juergen Daubert jue at jue.li
Fri Jan 21 10:53:00 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 11:00:15AM +0100, Johannes Winkelmann wrote:
> Hi,

Hi again,

[...]
> While I don't mind changing the ports I want to install manually, I was
> wondering whether moving that to someplace else (e.g. /var) might be a
> good idea.
>
> Comments, opinions?

After a second thought about this, I came to the conclusion, that
such a change is a not a trivial one and should be considered major.

Because:
1. a lot of ports are affected, in personal repos are some more we
   have to add to Johannes' list, additional work for the maintainers
2. more important, work for the users. They must move all the htdocs,
   web applications, change configurations etc.

To be clear, I'm not against this in general, if we decide so, but
I'm afraid the users will not be very happy at all.

Kind regards
Juergen

Juergen Daubert  |  mailto:jue at jue.li
Korb, Germany    |  http://jue.li/crux