[clc-devel] installing into /home (or not)

Per Liden per at fukt.bth.se
Mon Jan 24 20:18:52 UTC 2005

Hi all,

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Simone Rota wrote:

> On 01/21/05 11:53 Juergen Daubert wrote:
> > After a second thought about this, I came to the conclusion, that such a
> > change is a not a trivial one and should be considered major.
> >
> > Because:
> > 1. a lot of ports are affected, in personal repos are some more we    have
> > to add to Johannes' list, additional work for the maintainers
> > 2. more important, work for the users. They must move all the htdocs,
> >    web applications, change configurations etc.
> >
> > To be clear, I'm not against this in general, if we decide so, but I'm
> > afraid the users will not be very happy at all.
>
> Hi,
>
> if Per's ok with it, we could wait for this change
> in 2.1* and update the directory layout after the release
> while updating the ports.
>
> Does not really changes the impact on the users, but
> I think it would be somehow easier to accept (and detect)
> such a change as an 'upgrade' from a previous CRUX release.

First of all, I agree that /home/www might not be the best choice for
webfs/apache/etc to use. I used it in opt/webfs a long time ago, since I
had perviously used /home/ftp as home for the ftp user in passwd (used by
opt/btfpd). I wouldn't mind changing that to something else and add a
policy to the guidelines saying that packages shouldn't touch /home at
all.

The question is then where we should point ftp/www deamons and "system
users" home directories (like ftp) to by default. /var/<something>/<user>
is not all the uncommon as far as I know.

Any suggestions?

Also, as was already suggested, this change would have to be wait until
2.1, to avoid making life hard for both users and ourselves.

/Per