[clc-devel] contrib/opt merge: second thoughts

Simone Rota sip at varlock.com
Thu Jun 2 16:00:16 UTC 2005

On 05/26/05 13:46 Johannes Winkelmann wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

sorry for joining the discussion a bit late,

> Lately, I'm having second thoughts whether it's a good idea to merge opt
> and contrib into one collection. Not to be missunderstood, I consider it
> very important to merge CVS repositories, and CRUX/CLC. But somehow I
> don't like the idea of having 5 window managers, MTA's, web servers and
> the like in opt.
[cut: introduction of the "extra" collection]

For the sake of simplicity I slightly prefer merging the current
contrib with the opt collection, without adding an extra collection.

This way we can maintain the current purpose of the collections,
adjusted for the new contrib:

- base: don't go out without this
- opt: you almost certainly need some of these,
  and they're well maintained
- contrib: 3rd party, handle with care

Regards,
Simone