[clc-devel] CRUX menu-driven setup

Simone Rota sip at varlock.com
Sun Jun 5 01:52:06 UTC 2005

Hi,

we're probably going to deploy a good number of CRUX installations
where I work, and since I've been requested a more user-friendly
setup, today I started to work on a menu based setup program.

You can find some screenshot here:
http://www.varlock.com/tmp/replisetup/

At the moment I'm evaluating the use of replimenu[1], a very
compact (no deps!) and flexible menu drawing program, combined
with bash.

The general idea is to represent via menus the various steps
required by the traditional installation, avoiding to add too
much automation.

I write to the CLCDEV ML since we briefly spoke about a
possible new setup app (subproject?) during CRUXCON 2004 and
later on, so I'd like to know if there's already somebody
working on this, plus comments and ideas.

Regarding the status of the project, I coded most of the
GUI stuff today, obtaining a working prototype of a "stateful"
setup procedure, which collects all the information necessary
for the rest of the script to actually perform the install.
I won't have much time next week to spend on this, yet I'll be
glad to hear some opinion from clc-devel.

Regards,
Simone

[1] http://replimenu.sf.net

--