[clc-devel] Request for comments: subversion repository

Johannes Winkelmann jw at tks6.net
Sat Mar 5 12:43:57 UTC 2005

Hi there,
As some of you might remember, I posted a proposal how to use subversion
for port maintenance:
  https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/clc-devel/2004-December/000730.html

I was thinking about setting up a subversion ports repo at berlios
(since the clc project already has a subversion repository there), but
I'd like to check first whether there's any interest from other people.
So please let me know whether you're interested in testing it.

For those wondering about the reasons for this, here we go:
- subversion has some advantages over CVS, which make it easier to work
  with (e.g. disconnected add/diff/revert)
- subversion repositories can be published over http, which would solve
  the firewalling problem several people have with cvsup
- several tools exist for distributed development (svk, submaster) or
  patch management (transsvn)

As an addition, the script I wrote would allow to maintain "slave"-ports
on other architectures, where changes from a main architecture can be
merged as wanted.

If there's any substantial interest, I'd volunteer to initialize the
repository for x86, sparc and $TESTARCH (to allow everyone playing with
multiple architectures).

Kind regards, Johannes
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw at tks6.net