[clc-devel] thoughts on CRUX, post devfs

Johannes Winkelmann jw at tks6.net
Tue Nov 15 22:19:13 UTC 2005

Hi Nick,

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 14:43:10 -0700, Nick Steeves wrote:
> How soon should we begin to work on a devfs alternative?  I've read
> that Per doesn't like udev.
Yes, however, at this point in time it seems best to do a 2.2 with udev.
We might look into a alternative solution in parallel, but since this
solution is not ready yet, and the users can't update kernels without
switching to udev will probably make sense for now.

> P.S.  CRUX 2.2 is about January-February far away, yeah?  I hope we
> don't move to GCC4 until at least June.  (but that's a huge change,
> which would probably be called CRUX 3.0, yes?)
Did you experience a lot of problems with gcc 4? We've updated some
packages at work, and even though some patches were required, most fixes
were rather trivial. So I wouldn't mind seeing gcc 4 in 2.2, even though
it doesn't make sense to switch if the amount of work required to build
our packages it too large.

Kind regards, Johannes
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw at tks6.net