[clc-devel] thoughts on CRUX, post devfs

Daniel Mueller daniel at danm.de
Tue Nov 15 22:18:28 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 22:43, Nick Steeves wrote:
> P.S.  CRUX 2.2 is about January-February far away, yeah?  I hope we
> don't move to GCC4 until at least June.  (but that's a huge change,
> which would probably be called CRUX 3.0, yes?)

I'm running a CRUX system built completely with Gcc 4.0.2 (NOT 4.1). A lot of
(old) programs need patches but newer software compiles flawlessly (e.g. I
had no problems with KDE; Mplayer was bitching about 'unsupported compiler'
but worked just fine after applying a Gentoo patch :-).

I don't see any reason to wait any longer - even the big mainstream
distributions (Fedora, OpenSuSE) switched to GCC4 some time ago. If our users
insist on gcc 3.x.x -> contrib could hold a gcc3-compatibility port..
If a program refuses to compile the packager could also look how other
distributions solved that issue (Fedora's Source-RPMs, Gentoo's ebuild files,
OpenPKG, ..)

> How soon should we begin to work on a devfs alternative?  I've read
> that Per doesn't like udev.  We'll want to at least provide the same
> level of functionality as devfs did, right?

Matt's udev port works quite well. You don't think about a static /dev, do
you?

bye, danm

--
Daniel Mueller
Berlin, Germany         OpenPGP: 1024D/E4F4383A