[clc-devel] proposal to replace libglut with freeglut

Nick Steeves nick.steeves at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 18 01:07:20 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've read that the GLUT we're using isn't maintained anymore, and that it's
license states that no one but the author can distribute a modified version.
Apparently, the GLUT from Mesa-6.4 is identical to the one bundled with
Mesa-6.2.1, (etc..), and that the version number this GLUT gives itself is
3.7--furthermore, this GLUT hasn't been update since 1998...

The alternative is FreeGLUT (http://freeglut.sourceforge.net/).  It sounds
interesting--also interesting is that Novell/SuSE seems to have adopted it:
http://www.novell.com/products/linuxpackages/enterpriseserver/i386/freeglut.html

Ubuntu also uses it now:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/breezy/libs/freeglut3

"This package has been replaced by
``freeglut3''" (http://packages.ubuntu.com/breezy/oldlibs/glutg3).

Apparently the Freeglut project did some work to make fullscreen support
better.  AFAIK, libglut, freeglut, and nvidia conflict with each other, so
this shouldn't affect the majority of users.  (I assume ATI's binary drivers
ship with their own GLUT library)  I think that it would be a good thing for
3Dfx, Matrox, or ATI uers who use the kernel drivers.

If this is really just a simple "sed -i '/libglut/freeglut/' */Pkgfile", can
we do it?  I'll role a freeglut port, and start testing it immediately if
this is a possibility.  If there's a time to do this, it's probably before we
launch the new repository, right? (because then we can include the libglut to
freeglut notice in the "migrating to the crux.nu SVN repository HOWTO".

Cheers,
Nick