[clc-devel] Making the switch to svn

Simone Rota sip at varlock.com
Sat Nov 26 15:13:00 UTC 2005

On 11/26/05 14:52 Johannes Winkelmann wrote:
> Hi there,

Hi,

>  - Make sure we have all dependencies

Quik, dirty, unoptimized one-liner:
for f in `prt-get list`; do prt-get depends $f; done|grep from|sort -u

(NOTE: put only the new core and opt repos into prt.get.conf)

>    - pick up ports from danm

I propose maintainers having ports depending on Daniel ones
to adopt the deps right now, at least for a short period,
in order to facilitate the transition for CRUX users.

>  - Make it depend on svup, merge svup from
>      http://xoomer.virgilio.it/srota/ports/sip/svup/
>    into opt

I'll take care of this, I'd like to do some further
test and adjustement before committing.

On a related note, I'm very happy with svn in general,
but not so much with the current
svn ports backend, here's the negative aspects
(at least compared to cvsup & rsync):

1. Slow / high local load .
   I'm not talking about network performance, it's just that a
   'svn update' seems to hit disk/cpu badly.

2. More clutter into the ports tree, compare:
   simone at sip: ~ > du -hs /usr/ports/{base,opt,contrib,svn}
   2.0M    /usr/ports/base
   1.9M    /usr/ports/opt
   17M     /usr/ports/contrib
   58M     /usr/ports/svn

3. quite long compile time for svup (minor annoyance)

I've not tested it yet, but zsync[1] could be an interesting
backend since it allows rsync synchronization via http.

Please share you ideas on the matter.

Regards,
Simone

[1] http://zsync.moria.org.uk/