[clc-devel] Making the switch to svn

Jay Dolan jasonthomasdolan at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 26 15:35:53 UTC 2005

Hi Simone :)

--- Simone Rota <sip at varlock.com> wrote:
> On a related note, I'm very happy with svn in
> general,
> but not so much with the current
> svn ports backend, here's the negative aspects
> (at least compared to cvsup & rsync):
>
> 1. Slow / high local load .
>    I'm not talking about network performance, it's
> just that a
>    'svn update' seems to hit disk/cpu badly.
>
> 2. More clutter into the ports tree, compare:
>    simone at sip: ~ > du -hs
> /usr/ports/{base,opt,contrib,svn}
>    2.0M    /usr/ports/base
>    1.9M    /usr/ports/opt
>    17M     /usr/ports/contrib
>    58M     /usr/ports/svn
>
> 3. quite long compile time for svup (minor
> annoyance)

Zsync looks interesting.  I suppose it's okay that the
author still calls is 'beta' - we could certainly
explore it.  The 'rsync algorithm over http' is pretty
much what httpup gives us.  So, I'm curious to see if
it performs any better.

As for rsync, here're the adjustments I made to the
existing driver:

http://jdolan.dyndns.org/jaydolan/tmp/rsync

As you can see, it was simply the addition of the
RSYNC_EXCLUDE variable, to prevent source and package
archives from being deleted upon `ports -u`.  I have
not tested it, it was only an idea.

As for performing the switch next weekend, I think
I'll be around (at least on Saturday) in case the shit
hits the fan *g*

Jay Dolan
Software Engineer, Systems Analyst
Windmill Cycles, Inc.