[clc-devel] perl rsync backend

Johannes Winkelmann jw at tks6.net
Mon Nov 28 09:23:59 UTC 2005

Hi there,

I found something which could probably be combined with Jukka's script
into a cool ports backend:
  http://perlrsync.sourceforge.net/info.html

It's an rsync-client implementation in Perl; there's a module called
File::RsyncP::FileList which seems to contain the files to be synced,
which could be used to generate a client-side .checkout file without any
special settings/action (rsync-repgen) on the server. If this works, it
would have really nice properties:
 - efficient (cpu, network load and hd space wise)
 - pure rsyncd on the server
 - output can be adjusted to mimick cvsup's

If anyone has the time to verify my impression, that would be great :-).
I'd rather delay the switch to a new backend if this proves to be the
viable solution.

Comments appreciated,
Johannes