[crux-devel] [PROPOSAL] Better organization of the devel team

Nick Steeves nick.steeves at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 12 10:18:39 UTC 2006

Hi,

By the end of August I will no longer be able to actively maintain my
ports--this Fall is going to be the hardest semester of university yet. ;-)
I'm not sure what my formal responsibilities could be called.  KDE
maintainer--certainly--plus desktop-related stuff, multimedia, and things
that I think are really useful like shorewall, rsnapshot, ntp, etc.  112
ports is a lot to just move to the attic over the weekend, so I'd like this
email to be a sort of advance notice and a request to start adopting my
ports.

I'll also stop serving my personal httpup repository, so if anyone feels like
checking any of them into opt (cabextract or buffer come to mind...maybe
digikam), please do so soon.  I will continue to provide a tarball of the
repository on my web site, and Younès <ycrux at club-internet.fr> has expressed
a willingness to adopt these ports, so none of this repository will be lost.

What I feel is the more pressing issue is that I don't really have the time to
package and test KDE anymore, nor have I found someone to inherit the
responsibility of doing so for both the latest, and future releases.  Ideally
I think that it would be nice if someone would maintain the official parts of
KDE in opt, and then publish anything KDE-related as a kde-extra.httpup
repository.  I don't think that it really matters if all of my other ports
become fragmented among multiple maintainers, but it makes sense for bulk of
the KDE stuff to be handled by one or two people.  I will transfer all of my
convenience scripts, sources for update information, KDE packager email list,
pre-release tarball downloading procedures, etc. to whoever we find (assuming
he or she might want any of these).

`hope you will know of someone who might be interested in adopting our KDE
implementation (I haven't asked him yet, but possibly Younès?),
Nick