[crux-devel] autoconf mandir patch

Johannes Winkelmann jw at smts.ch
Tue Aug 22 08:21:04 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 13:29:02 +0200, Mark Rosenstand wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 14:15 +0200, Tilman Sauerbeck wrote:
[...]
> > We'll have to add "--mandir=/usr/man" to more configure lines in the
> > next few months anyway, while projects update autoconf to 2.60, so it
> > doesn't really matter if we add it to the Pkgfiles where we call
> > autoconf ourselves.
>
> Perhaps it should be considered to just adopt the FHS and
> use /usr/share/man. My personal concern about doing this (till now) has
> been all the damned --mandir=/usr/share/man it would take, plus
> patch/sed'ing some static Makefiles.
While I prefer /usr/man over /usr/share/man, I hardly ever access the
man pages directly (i.e. using their absolute path), so the extra effort
to move man pages around might not really be worth it.

However, there are a couple of packages which don't use autotools, so if
we want a single location for man pages (which seems the only viable
goal to me) we'll have to adjust some packages either way.

Evaluation using http://jw.tks6.net/files/crux/check_man.sh:
    $ sh check_man.sh /usr/ports/{core,opt,contrib} 2> /dev/null
    -- /usr/ports/core
    man with configure: 64
    man without configure: 26
    -- /usr/ports/opt
    man with configure: 230
    man without configure: 88
    -- /usr/ports/contrib
    man with configure: 158
    man without configure: 111

What these numbers don't tell is that for autotools, it's the same
change for every Pkgfile, while every non-autotools package is a
potential special case, although we might be able to convince some
upstream authors to let their packages default to /usr/share/man in the
future, pointing at the LFS.

Regards, Johannes
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw at smts.ch
Zurich, Switzerland              http://jw.smts.ch