[crux-devel] meeting notes & next IRC Meeting

Johannes Winkelmann jw at smts.ch
Mon May 29 07:16:22 UTC 2006

Hi there,

This is a quick notification to let you know about last friday's
meeting, and the upcoming one next wednesday (may 31).

Last friday, we mainly discussed issues around 2.3 and random ideas
that came up. Here's a brief summary:

- We'll try to push out 2.3 later this year (Q3/Q4) if possible; it'll
  include at least the following:
  - Xorg 7.1
  - gcc 4.1.x (note that I'd consider it safe to update gcc via ports
    during the 2.2 cycle, but that's up for discussion)
  - glibc 2.4

- Extend setup to handle modular X; one idea which was discussed and
  considered viable was to do grouping, such that one could first select
  the core group, the xorg group, and the [name to be found; remaining
  packages from opt] group

  - The idea of dependency handling during 'setup' was brought up, but
    not discussed in detail yet [personal remark: easier with
    dependencies in packages]
  - some devs would like to see easier update procedures, to
    avoid the CD boot/reboot for updates; not discussed in detail
    either, though interesting and definitely wanted by many

- We'll review Matt's ISO scripts and merge them into the svn Makefile
  where appropriate

- Cleaning up the package selection; we want to do that, but didn't
  decide which packages should go or be replaced

- We'll start the public wiki section as soon as we find a volunteer to
  look after it (i.e. check the entries from time to time for spam or
  unwanted stuff).

- we'll set up ck4up on crux.nu to check core ports; jue has kindly
  provided a special version and a configuration file

In addition, danm proposed the following three feature additions, noting
that we claim to utilize on using recent libs and tools:

1. move /etc/rc.d/net to iproute2
  The consensus here was that we'll move /etc/rc.d/net to iproute2 for
  2.3 but keep shipping net-tools

2. use PAM
  This has to be investigated, it's a tough balance between features and
  simplicity; integrating CRUX into certain infrastructures can be
  rather hard without PAM, and the transition seems painful. We need to
  evaluate the impact of this before deciding

3. install info pages
  This wasn't all that controversal as it might seem :-). In general, we
  agree that info pages contain important information at times, and we
  have to admit that several users would like to have them; we also
  agree that some consider them junk :-). We to slightly change our
  position on this, such that:
  - we move texinfo to core and require maintainers to have it installed
    (since some packages conditionally install the info pages only if
    texinfo is there)
  - we require that packages install their info pages
  - we extend pkgadd to support hooks such as:
    INSTALL     ^usr/info/.*$       NO

  Whether 'NO' or 'YES' will be the default here is to be decided, but
  taking this route makes our packages more flexible without sacrificing
  a lot. As a personal remark, the same rule should IMO be used for
  desktop files and icons, i.e. install in general, allow rejection via
  pkgadd.conf.
  If/When we do this, we'll have to (re-)define 'junk' though; some
  might say that this way, we could just as well install /usr/share/doc
  and reject it by default, or even translations. Prepare some arguments
  :-)

As a result, we've started a todo list in the wiki:
  http://crux.nu/Main/ToDo

The next IRC meeting will be this coming wednesday, same time (20 CEST).
I suggest the following agenda:

- Quickly discuss open points from last meeting
- discuss 'ToDo', and responsibilities in general
- future of pkgutils (especially WRT the INSTALL feature mentioned
  above)

Please post further discussion points in this thread. We'll do futher
meetings as needed.

Thanks for your attention,
Johannes
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw at smts.ch