[crux-devel] meeting notes & next IRC Meeting

Mikhail Kolesnik mike at openbunker.org
Mon May 29 11:36:28 UTC 2006

On Mon, 29 May 2006 11:38:17 +0200
Mark Rosenstand <mark at borkware.net> wrote:

> I'll suggest something like the FreeBSD install set selections, except
> for the top-level profiles ("Developer desktop" etc.), so instead of
> having all packages in one list, there'd be something like:
>
> [x] core -->
> [ ] opt -->
> [ ] xorg -->
>
> Space would select/deselect all the packages, Enter would go into a list
> similar to the one we have today, listing all the packages in the
> category.

Wouldn't it be confusing to list xorg as top-level option? We have core,
ort and opt/x11 in it... while list it separately. As far as I
remember, BSD's have independent Xblah.tgz

> >   - some devs would like to see easier update procedures, to
> >     avoid the CD boot/reboot for updates; not discussed in detail
> >     either, though interesting and definitely wanted by many
>
> Hmm, I don't think the reboot is necessary other than for booting a new
> kernel. They could just mount their filesystems with --bind to /mnt and
> the CD to /mnt/mnt and then do a chroot. Or am I missing something?

May be some long-time running server configurations would not like such
tricks...

> > 1. move /etc/rc.d/net to iproute2
> >   The consensus here was that we'll move /etc/rc.d/net to iproute2 for
> >   2.3 but keep shipping net-tools
>
> While on the subject, rc.d entries are by default not rejected, but the
> net script holds config data. Not a biggie, but a (simple, no extra
> config files) solution would be nice.

While I like iproute2, shouldn't just shipping it in opt be enough for
now?

I would also like to see the discussion on services privileges
separation, FHS compliance. I used Juergen's ports to make FHS like
ports of apache, mysql, vsftpd with opportunity to create separate
users for each... It works, so why not?

--
Mikhail Kolesnik
ICQ: 260259143