[crux-devel] meeting notes & next IRC Meeting

Brett Goulder predatorfreak at dcaf-security.org
Mon May 29 20:36:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, 29 May 2006 22:18:20 +0200
Mark Rosenstand <mark at borkware.net> wrote:

> [...]

If iproute2 is smaller/simpler/better in some way to ifconfig, then I'm all
for it.

> 2. use PAM
>   This has to be investigated, it's a tough balance between features and
>   simplicity; integrating CRUX into certain infrastructures can be
>   rather hard without PAM, and the transition seems painful. We need to
>   evaluate the impact of this before deciding

I think we're better off without it, CRUX is, after all, a distribution following
the KISS way of life, so complexity like this seems wrong. I would probably end up
modifying half of core/opt/contrib to kill PAM from my system and I think others who
enjoy the simplicity of CRUX would probably get annoyed by PAM. I vote that PAM stays
out of CRUX.

> 3. install info pages
>   This wasn't all that controversal as it might seem :-). In general, we
>   agree that info pages contain important information at times, and we
>   have to admit that several users would like to have them; we also
>   agree that some consider them junk :-). We to slightly change our
>   position on this, such that:
>   - we move texinfo to core and require maintainers to have it installed
>     (since some packages conditionally install the info pages only if
>     texinfo is there)
>   - we require that packages install their info pages
>   - we extend pkgadd to support hooks such as:
>     INSTALL     ^usr/info/.*$       NO
>
>   Whether 'NO' or 'YES' will be the default here is to be decided, but
>   taking this route makes our packages more flexible without sacrificing
>   a lot. As a personal remark, the same rule should IMO be used for
>   desktop files and icons, i.e. install in general, allow rejection via
>   pkgadd.conf.
>   If/When we do this, we'll have to (re-)define 'junk' though; some
>   might say that this way, we could just as well install /usr/share/doc
>   and reject it by default, or even translations. Prepare some arguments
>   :-)

I'm all for this, since some programs (e.g gcc) only document some really good
information in their info pages and I'd like to have that on hand if I wanted to
read over it.

--
~predatorfreak
GnuPG Public key: http://pred.dcaf-security.org/dcafsec-pub-gpgkey.asc