[crux-devel] Url checker notifications to this list

Johannes Winkelmann jw at smts.ch
Tue May 30 06:45:30 UTC 2006

Hi,

I wrote a url checker script [1] which checks for the availability of
sources/distfiles. In order to be notified as early as possible of
moved/unavailable source files, I'd like to run it nightly on crux.nu.
For the notification, there are basically three possibilities:

1. send everything to the list; advantages: everyone can fix a broken
url, for example if another maintainers MIA; disadvantages: some more
messages to the list (it's not like we should have broken urls every day
though)

2. send it to the maintainer directly; advantages: no "spamming" of the
list; disadvantages: requires a correctly set and updated Maintainer
field, and won't be seen by others so if the port maintainer has no time
to fix it, the problem will persist for a longer time without anyone
else knowing

3. opt-in mailing list where these notifications go; advantages: seen by
everyone, those not wanting these notifications don't have to subscribe;
disadvantages: being able to unsubscribe kinda defeats the purpose of
this

I'd suggest to go for choice #1, i.e. sending all to the list, however
would like to hear from the other developers whether they don't like
this at all. If there's no overwhelming negative response, I'll enable
this later this week.

Kind regards,
Johannes