[crux-devel] meeting notes & next IRC Meeting

Anton cbou at mail.ru
Tue May 30 23:20:09 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 12:40:01AM +0200, Daniel Mueller wrote:
> is the de facto standard (ALL major Linux distributions ship it). New

Oh. You are very very wrong. Slackware do not use PAM by default, afaik.
It's on 11 place according to distrowatch. ;-)

What PAM gives to me? To you? Why would you use it?

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/pam-3.html :
---
"That is, you can authenticate from anything as naive as simple trust
(pam_permit) to something as paranoid as a combination of a retinal
scan, a voice print and a one-time password!
To illustrate the flexibility you face, consider the following
situation: a system administrator (parent) wishes to improve the
mathematical ability of her users (children). She can configure their
favorite ``Shoot 'em up game'' (PAM-aware of course) to
authenticate them"
---

Unfortunately it's not impressive, as I don't have retinal scaner, and
I don't want to play ``shoot 'em up'' game on login phase. ;-)

It's not clear to me why I'm, as crux user, have to use PAM. May be I
would love it if someone explain to me what it gives.

Thanks,

-- Anton (irc: bd2)