[crux-devel] meeting notes & next IRC Meeting

Mark Rosenstand mark at borkware.net
Wed May 31 06:07:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 00:40 +0200, Daniel Mueller wrote:
> On Monday 29 May 2006 22:36, Brett Goulder wrote:
>
> > > 1. move /etc/rc.d/net to iproute2
> > >   The consensus here was that we'll move /etc/rc.d/net to iproute2 for
> > >   2.3 but keep shipping net-tools
> >
> > If iproute2 is smaller/simpler/better in some way to ifconfig, then I'm all
> > for it.
>
> It's not smaller and it's not simpler [1]. It is the only tool that takes
> advantage of recent kernel network features [2].

Are you sayng that it's time to re-evaluate the priorities of the CRUX
project?

> Only to make that clear: PAM is the de facto standard (ALL major Linux
> distributions ship it).

And RPM is the standard package manager... ;)

> I don't like this egoistic thinking: "I don't need it -> leave it out!".

When you talk about small but essential utilities (think jfsutils,
e2fsprogs, etc.) that's true. But when you think about big, complex
systems that affect large parts of the distro, this is what makes the
difference between a focused project like CRUX and the "this could be
useful in theory, and will make our feature list longer - it's in!" type
of distros.

> It's a pain in the ass to configure PAM if it is not pre-installed. People
> depending on PAM have to modify numerous ports only to get it running ('cause
> it doesn't work out-of-the-box). Later then, they need to keep an eye of
> every particular port they have modified (port updates, security flaws etc.).

Isn't this how all "maintainer disagreements" work? By including a
svn.driver and making it the default, people could just edit the ports
and (non-conflicting) changes get automatically merged. This is what I
do, and it isn't that much slower than rsync.

> Let me quote some words I found on CRUX's main page "[..] targeted at
> experienced Linux users", "The secondary focus is utilization of new Linux
> features and recent tools and libraries".

You accidently forgot this one: "The primary focus of this distribution
is keep it simple"

That's not to say that PAM should be forever left out, but like Anton
said, it would be nice to see a list of what the added complexity gives
us.