[crux-devel] [RFC] new portdb

Johannes Winkelmann jw at smts.ch
Wed Oct 8 12:14:29 UTC 2008

Hi Lucas,

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 21:23:32 +1100, Lucas Hazel wrote:

> So it appears I've been handed the "portdb maintainer" hat.
>
> My first duty in this roll was to add a few repos to the portdb cacher.
> But alas the pdbcacher seems to have locked up and I don't have the
> privileges to kill the process.
>
> So rather than find out what's wrong with it, I've decided to write a
> new one (sans PHP) with a focus on me having to do as little data
> entry as possible.
Nice

> A few features I have in mind are,
>
> * Allow users to add repositories by themselves.
Cool; if we have proper user management, that could also be used for a
number of other things. It would be nice if users wouldn't need three
accounts for crux.nu (wiki, flyspray, portdb); not sure which
application could/should be the "master" though.

> * Allow users to create custom collections from other repositories.
Not sure if that should be part of crux.nu's portdb. I can see that
users create meta repositories, but I'm not sure if we should host them.
Or is this mean to be a private custom collection, or just a special
ports configuration file for a yet-to-be written ports(8) driver that
can merge repositories?

> * Partial and full caching of repositories.
Does this mean that one can browse the files on crux.nu? I'd really like
to see that again, as right now (at least for rsync) you can't e.g.
check versions and the like.

> * Make more information available, such as processing footprints,
>   md5sums, meta data and verification results.
Sounds good. It would also be nice if users could flag packages
outdated, which would trigger a bug report to portdb, similar to what
the Arch guys have.

Maybe portdb could also show if there's already an outdated (and maybe
also other bugs?) reported.

> * XML output, RSS feeds, email alerts, etc.
> * ???
> * Profit
>
> Does anyone else have any nifty ideas for what could go into a new
> portdb?
Well, one thing I'd like to animate is that repo maintainers must
confirm on a regular basis that they're looking after their
repositories; I would suggest that we send a mail with a generated URL,
which confirms that a repository is active when visited. If a maintainer
fails to confirm (maybe only the second time), his repositories are
deactivated (hidden) from portdb. He can always log in later on to
reactivate them.

Thanks for working on that!
Cheers, Johannes
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw at smts.ch