[crux-devel] [RFC] new portdb

Johannes Winkelmann jw at smts.ch
Wed Oct 8 12:31:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 14:14:29 +0200, Johannes Winkelmann wrote:
> Hi Lucas,
>
> On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 21:23:32 +1100, Lucas Hazel wrote:
[...]
> > * XML output, RSS feeds, email alerts, etc.
You probably meant this with the RSS feed, but a long time ago we had a
web site (not only RSS feed) which listed added/changed/removed ports;
that was kinda neat.

Also, for arch (x86/x86_64 etc) maintainers, it would be handy to track
individual ports (or rather a custom list of ports).

Also, here's two other random ideas:

* Web based ports management
This is not really related to portdb per se, but it would be nice if I
could subscribe to an RSS feed which included ck4up, prtverify and
check_urls output.

* "Port of the week"
Occasionally, I find a new tool/library/* which is very nice, and would
like to inform the rest of the world about it ;-)
Maybe we could add some kind of submission/vote mechanism where the
users can vote a new port "port of the week", which is then listed more
prominentely somewhere on our website. Of course, it's not the port
(i.e. Pkgfile) that should get the award but the packaged software.

Cheers, Johannes
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw at smts.ch
Zurich, Switzerland              http://jw.smts.ch