[crux-devel] [RFC] new portdb

Simone Rota sip at varlock.com
Wed Oct 8 19:25:25 UTC 2008

On 10/08/08 10:23 Lucas Hazel wrote:
> So it appears I've been handed the "portdb maintainer" hat.
>
> My first duty in this roll was to add a few repos to the portdb cacher.
> But alas the pdbcacher seems to have locked up and I don't have the
> privileges to kill the process.

It ran fine right now, we may want to track down the problem anyway
while we're using the old version. Btw it seems the following
collections are not availabe at this time:

chw
lxde
mrks
roliveira
singular

> So rather than find out what's wrong with it, I've decided to write a
> new one (sans PHP) with a focus on me having to do as little data
> entry as possible.

nice!

> A few features I have in mind are,
>
> * Allow users to add repositories by themselves.
> * Allow users to create custom collections from other repositories.
> * Partial and full caching of repositories.
> * Make more information available, such as processing footprints,
>   md5sums, meta data and verification results.
> * XML output, RSS feeds, email alerts, etc.
> * ???
> * Profit
>
> Does anyone else have any nifty ideas for what could go into a new
> portdb?

Sounds good, random notes from past experiences/discussions:

- I'd avoid storing the files locally, I'm not that
  fond of getting random files from untrusted sources.

- IIRC we disabled the form to add a repository due
  to spam, you may want to add some check (ie:
  check if it's a real repo, email confirmation,...)

- We tried (and failed ;)) to stick to a common platform
  for web applications to simplify the setup. I guess using
  python is not a big deal since we already have mailman
  and I don't see it being replaced anytime soon.

- Since you mentioned verification results, I think your
  job will be easier if you enable a auto-disable mechanism
  for unreachable repos (ie after 10 days), and make the cacher
  notify you only the first time and maybe when the repo is removed.

Thank you for taking care of this,
Regards, Simone

--
Simone Rota