[crux-devel] perl and python footprint mismatch errors

Johannes Winkelmann jw at smts.ch
Tue Oct 28 07:18:32 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Jose V Beneyto
<sepen at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I experienced something weird and seems nobody reported it (or I didn't hear
> of it).
Well, so far we've only asked to test the ISO, not necessarily the
ports, so it's somewhat to be expected that ports don't work on 2.5
for one reason or the other (python/per footprints may be one thing,
gcc 4.3 build errors another).
Once the ISO is relatively stable (and I'm pretty sure it is) we
should go ahead and ask all maintainers to start porting their
software (perl/python is one thing, gcc 4.3 another). At the same
time, development of 2.4 should be frozen, such that all efforts are
geared towards getting the new release ready.

> [1]  I would to propose you a pkgmk hack similar to that we have for kernel
> modules ports, all we need is the current installed version for perl and
> python.
Not sure if that's really justified, given that we usually don't do
major updates of perl or python inbetween releases. In addition, such
a hack would also invite people not to update their perl/python ports,
which would most certainly cause problems down the line if they
install dependent ports which require an up to date perl/python.

Cheers, Johannes
--
Johannes Winkelmann
jw at smts.ch