[crux-devel] CRUX 2.5: replace slocate by mlocate

Juergen Daubert jue at jue.li
Tue Oct 28 11:50:13 UTC 2008

Hi all,

apologize for bringing up this so late, I simply forgot it,
but Johannes' blackbox email reminds me ;-)

* I'd suggest to replace core/slocate by mlocate for CRUX 2.5

why:
slocate is maintained by debian, but there's no activity for a
long time, so I'd call it unmaintained.

mlocate:
is a drop-in replacement for slocate maintained by RH, but
much faster in the second run because it merge-in new files
instead of rebuilding all from scratch. [1] [2]

Unfortunately the switch is not fully painless, because mlocate
needs a new system-group 'mlocate' and cannot co-exist with
slocate because of conflicting file names.

To test mlocate I've added a ports to my private repo [3].

Greetings
Juergen

PS:
if you are using the current version of pkgmk you have to download
the source-file by hand, because of a failed certificate check,
pkgmk in git already has a fix for that [4]. A new pkgutils release
for 2.5 would be nice.

[1] http://carolina.mff.cuni.cz/~trmac/blog/mlocate/
[2] http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2006-February/msg01047.html
[3] httpup sync http://jue.li/crux/ports/#mlocate mlocate