[crux-devel] [RFC] gl-select modification

Jose V Beneyto sepen at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Oct 31 23:45:43 UTC 2008

Hi all,

After trying to update the last catalyst (ati propietary driver),  I
need to patch gl-select, one more time (now for libdri.so, which is
introduced as new), to avoid overwrite  some xorg and mesa3d stuff
(mesa3d/libGL.so, xorg/libglx.so, xorg/libdri.so, ...)
I was wondering about differences between nvidia and ati ports, and I
made some modifications to gl-select [1] in order to unify them much
more. Also, I added a new 'status' switch to check which gl stuff are
you using.

I try to describe this scenario:

ports:
    * ati:
       each conflicting file (with xorg* or mesa3d) should be renamed
like:  'libGL_so_1_2_ati'
    * nvidia:
       .$version files should have a link like: libGL_so_1_2_nvidia ->
libGL.so.96.43.07
    * gl-select:
       should manage '*_nvidia' and '*_ati' files (provided by ports)
       NVER no longer will be needed

gl-select:
    * status:
       return the current status by checking where is pointing the symlink
    * use foo:
       foreach libdri, libglx, libGL, ... do xorg backups and symlink to
'*_foo' files
    * use xorg:
       restore backup'ed files

I'm maintaining contrib/ati on this way, and  I think nvidia's ports
should need a few changes only, just add some symlinks and provide
'*_nvidia' files. I've a modification for nvidia-legacy-96xx [2] to take
as example.
Also, ATM I'm running ati 8-10 [3] and using this new gl-select [1]
really fine.

I'll glad to know your opinions.

Thanks,
    Jose V Beneyto