[crux-devel] [RFC] use GNU inetutils for core-ports inetd, netkit-ftp, netkit-telnet

Juergen Daubert jue at jue.li
Tue Sep 9 09:50:12 UTC 2008

Hello,

our core-ports inetd, netkit-ftp and netkit-telnet are all
based on the very old and unmaintained netkit-* programs
and are heavily patched to get more functionality, like IPv6,
or even to build with newer compilers.

I'd suggest to use the GNU inetutils i[1] for that purpose
instead, because they are actively maintained [2] and direct
replacements.

I think it's easy to decide on this, but I have more problems
with the package names, because a netkit-ftp build from
inetutils sounds not very sensible to me.

I think we have some options here:

1. Keep names as they are
2. Keep inetd, rename netkit-ftp to inetutils-ftp and
   netkit-telnet to inetutils-telnet
3. Keep inetd, rename netkit-ftp to ftp and netkit-telnet to
   telnet
4. Rename all to inetutils-{inetd,ftp,telnet}
5. Replace inetd, netkit-ftp and netkit-telnet with one port
   called inetutils
6. ?

I tend to option 5 because it's the easiest way to maintain,
the binaries are very slim and we reduce the number of core
ports. Even options 3 and 4 are looking more consistent to me
as our current situation.

Opinions?

best regards
Juergen